Every Day I’m Shuffling
It turns out that Gina and I have been using many similar tactics when it’s time to put the baby down at night. Together, we have perfected a new procedure to put the baby to sleep known as the every day I’m shuffling maneuver.
We both begin with a cool down session after the dinner feeding. A little bit of cuddling and soft words set the tone for a good night’s sleep for the baby. But then, depending on who is putting the baby to bed, Maddie will find herself if one of two scenarios.
- Step 1 – do not let your feet leave the ground.
- Step 2 – the pace of your movement must become unbearably slow.
- Step 3 – do not make any deliberate moves (going in a few circles is ok)
- Step 4 – patience is the key to a successful shuffle.
- Step 5 – once you complete the journey to the crib – KEEP SHUFFLIN’ (you are not done yet)
- Step 6 – Shuffle in place until you know the baby is ready for the put down.
- Step 7 – before you put the baby down, already have your exit strategy planned. Accidentally kicking the crib or moving a door can destroy a well-executed shuffle.
If you follow these careful steps – Maddie will sleep peacefully until the late-night dinner bell chimes in her stomach. A special thanks to Aunt Jacque and LMFAO for providing the clever catch phrase for this early evening activity!